Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Week Three

I have my pre-kinder screamer, Yuri, in the class all day everyday with a smile on her face now. She has a strange really loud laugh that the other children stare at. On Monday I put my foot down with Grace, who, as school director, has more important things to do than just sit in on my classes holding a crying Yuri in her arms. I tell her that either Yuri HAS to leave class when she cries or sit in her chair by herself, and that the other teachers are not allowed to pick her up. Grace reluctantly agrees, after impressing upon her how the other children are jealous of Yuri's constant attention. I bribe Jenny to be nice to Yuri with "apples" (the students collect apples on their trees and when the tree is full they get a prize). Yuri cries in Jenny's lap the entirety of the first forty minute period without a hug, but is sitting up and laughing by the end of the next break. She still speaks Korean constantly, but one thing at a time.

Another great breakthrough is with Jeffrey who is obviously smart but tries at times to act up. I am harder on him. "No Korean," I say, "I know you speak English." "Yes" he says knowingly. Mike points out to me that he only speaks Korean, because there aren't any other students on his level with whom he is interested in talking. The only other student with great English is Jineon, who is a teacher's pet. Jineon is the ultimate "Velcro camper" (as we call them at Skylark Ranch). He shouldn't be cooped up in a hagwon, but should use his considerable talents in doing things. He would be a happy kid, with an older class, and with more independent and hands on activities, so long as he had ample praise. But I digress. Jeffrey's eyes light up at least once everyday when he figures things out. One of his accomplishments include learning to peel one of those special art crayons with the string.

Tiffany, who is in Mike's class Tolkein, is another convert. As I have said, I switch into Mike's pre-kinder class twice a day, which is when I see Tiffany. She is obviously a spoiled child who has learned the power of a tantrum. But she grows to like Mike and me. Every morning she now waves, hugs, laughs, and participates (at least until she gets bored, and then does not take as much prodding as before to return to her paper). She still speaks a lot of Korean though.

I would love to tell all the minute details of each of my pre-kinder students, but will spare you some of them.

March 18

I wake up at 9:05 AM. I am supposed to start work at 9AM. After saying "Shit, shit, shit!" and throwing on clothes, I grab my wallet and run straight to work. I don't even think to grab a coat. Huffing and puffing I arrive, where I gratefully see, Grace and Jack do not even notice my tardiness. Hallelujah, prep-time buffer.

The one advanced class I teach, R7, gets a beating by old Dennis, who steps in for me (as their old teacher) by saying that if they continue to miss homework assignments they will get a warning, then will be publicly humiliated by having to join a 1st or second grade class, then will have to have their mothers join them in the classroom to babysit. They moan, groan, and sulk. I add a pop vocabulary quiz to their misery, in which I expect them to spell ten words correctly and define another 10 from the previous week's homework. One gets 95%, another 80%. The other 5 students earn Fs. I feel kind of giddy in the retribution so long overdue.

After work I see all kinds of weird fish things I've never seen before at HomePlus (groceries). I attempt to buy cereal and find that the entire large store has two cereals: Corn flakes and Frosted Corn Flakes (of the same Korean brand) and that they cost over $5 a box. They have a full isle of ramen, and a huge fish market, but 2 cereals. I opt for pancake mix instead, only to find it is just about the same overpriced nonsense as the cereal and buy neither.

I run into Dayna on my way back from HomePlus and she talks me into going to PizzaHut with her. I am reluctant at first to go, but am pleasantly surprised (and comforted) by the assortment of high quality foods, including a tomato/basil/mozzarella appetizer, salad, and mussel spaghetti.

Another long day, and two more to go before the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.