I have been thinking for some time now that I need to update my blog. I think I reached a new phase in culture shock, acceptance. I live my daily life and don't really struggle like I used to. I also don't explore as much as I used to either, which is good and bad. I take better care of myself now, but I don't have as many stories to tell.
Work has been a black hole of drama. For details you can email me, but I don't want to post everything and get myself into trouble. Dennis, who has worked for this school for nearly six years, put in his resignation because he could not stand the dramatic changes and the lies. It really sucks because, I like where I live and I like the people I work with--both students and teachers. The crappiest situation, I feel, is that Melinda (who has a degree in education and is a capable and hard-working teacher) has been laid-off a month before the end of her contract because the school wants to save money and rent. The other obnoxious thing is the director just spent millions of won to put microphones in our classrooms. So not only are we constantly watched on a big screen TV in her office, but our every word is listened to. This is not to keep teachers and students safe but as an opportunity for the director to monitor every action for fault. But I think I have gone too far. However, this is a job and not the end of the world. I think people get too sucked into the vortex of my-life-is-the-school. Another job can be found in Korea easily if need be. I've stayed out of the frying pan so far, and if that continues I'll stay. If not, I'll just go somewhere else.
I expect to be completely depressed by the end of the month, as my two closest friends here in Korea are Mike and Melinda. Both will go back to the States on the 27th. I probably should commit myself to becoming an expert reader and guitar player, because I personally find that it isn't really that easy to meet and befriend other foreigners. Everyone has their acquaintances and people don't really make an effort in Bucheon to stop and say "Hi."
Rereading my blog made me realize that when I was too stressed before, all I needed was a little sleep. I was constantly exhausted. Now I feel like the days and weeks go really quickly. I've been here 16 weeks now. I am so close to four months. My perceptions of the students have changed a little too. Some have risen up and improved tremendously, while others have disappointingly sunk in my estimation.
I don't want to call it meditation, because I am not sure that that is what I've been doing, but I have been taking time to myself lately and I really am glad I am. It is hard for me to be alone I think, but I am getting better at it and I am learning to like the balance of friends and quiet time.
Not much more to say right now as the clock is ticking towards midnight and it is too early in the week to let myself get sleep deprived.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.