Monday, September 7, 2009

A rundown of pseudo-dates

Korean boys have been a big-ass hassle here. I've met several who confuse the hell outta me. It seems impossible to date another American because all of the American men here date/marry Korean women, or else come already taken.

Example 1: Matthew and his friend (whose name I don't remember) stopped by one of the Family Marts on a Friday to talk to me, while I waited for Jenny to show up. M and his friend left, then M came back alone to talk with me. We exchanged numbers and he said we should hang out over the weekend, which I agreed to. He called me a day later to pick Friday. Friday came and went without a call from him. He texted me on Sunday to say he'd lost his phone for a couple of days (yeah, right!). Anyway, I figured he just didn't like me that much and forgot about him. Then he called me today after a friggin month has passed to tell me he wants to hang out this Sunday. Let's just say I'm not going to hold my breath.

Example 2: TaeGwan met me at a bar and he chatted to me alone all night. I thought he was cute enough for a hook-up, but his English sucks so I didn't really care for anything more. Anyway, TaeGwan asked me to meet him two days later at the same bar. I showed, but he didn't. Figuring that the bar was cool anyway, I called Jenny and she joined me. He showed up 2.5 hours late and said that he had to stay over late at work. (Yeah, right another excuse). So I ditched my interests with TaeGwan.

Example 3: DongHo meets me at that same bar as TG and his English is good, he is funny, attractive, and he's a history teacher. He was definitely the person I thought the most interesting/datable so far. He sends me a text that night with "sweet dreams" included in the message, and the next day he invites me back to the bar to meet him. We talk most of the evening, and he keeps staring into my eyes and telling me they're beautiful, then comments on my smile. YoungLin, the bartender, talks with DH about me and when I ask them to translate it into English, YoungLin says we're really "compatable". I thought he liked me, but I guess not. That Friday we met up at the bar, and he left within 10 minutes and didn't say goodbye. I texted "Where'd you go" and he said he was too tired and he was going to bed. I find out later through my friends that he doesn't like me. Fine. But what the hell was all that "compatability...beautiful eyes....never stop smiling" bullshit about?

What I can't figure out, is what my problem is. What is the matter with me that I keep attracting these flakes? Ok, Ok, maybe they don't like me that much. But then why the hell go to the effort of trying to meet up if they aren't going to even show up? Is calling and texting me multiple times in a week supposed to be Korea's way of saying "I'm not interested"? It's not worth my time. It's embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.